Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

Tim:
>> /me wonders whether warming them up, first, would have helped?

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> It might have - stick it in an oven or something. On the other hand,
> it might have cause other problems. What I think was happening is
> that the bearing lubrication had gotten into places it should not
> have, and then prevented the drive from starting to spin up. The
> jolt freed thing up enough to get the drive spinning. It also freed
> the head to move as well.

I was thinking of metal contraction as it cools down seizing the moving
parts into position (remembering my days back in school of being told
not to leave the vices tightened up overnight).

Of course warming them up would have to be to a sensible temperature.
Warming them up to normal operating temperatures, not roasting
them.  ;-)

I get odd looks when I tap the back of a screwdriver with another one,
with the first one's point in the slot, to loosen up stuck bolts.  But
the principle's the same, you're trying to free up a moving part that's
jammed, but with the minimal amount of force that's required.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.