Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> jdow wrote:
>
>> It sounds like the drive cannot get its head mounted and simply hangs
>> somehow. It's not useful for backups. If I had data on it there are some
>> "hacks" I might try, sharply twisting the drive on the axis of rotation
>> as power is applied, for example. Sometimes that will get the disk to
>> spin up if that's the problem. I've managed to rescue data that way a
>> couple times.
>>
> I like "drive tapping" myself for spinup. Start tapping the drive with
> the handle of a screwdriver (side impact, not on top) and apply power. I
> have used that with success back to ESDI days, and most recently on a
> PATA drive I brute copied to a file and accessed as a drive on a virtual
> machine. It will get started one more time, to run DBAN on it and clean
> off the data. Part of my "January is 'clean your office' month" program.

I can remember dropping a SCSI drive or two 4" to 6" onto the desk
to free it up so it would spin up again. (Drop so it lands flat on
its bottom, not sides or ends.) This was often necessary on drives
that had run non-stop for years, and were shut down long enough to
cool off. (Moving a computer room...) I believe there was a repair
spec describing this...

Mikkel