Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 13:24 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> I can remember dropping a SCSI drive or two 4" to 6" onto the desk
>> to free it up so it would spin up again. (Drop so it lands flat on
>> its bottom, not sides or ends.) This was often necessary on drives
>> that had run non-stop for years, and were shut down long enough to
>> cool off.
>
> /me wonders whether warming them up, first, would have helped?

It might have - stick it in an oven or something. On the other hand,
it might have cause other problems. What I think was happening is
that the bearing lubrication had gotten into places it should not
have, and then prevented the drive from starting to spin up. The
jolt freed thing up enough to get the drive spinning. It also freed
the head to move as well.

Mikkel