Re: APC UPS

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:
A warranty claim seems so easy, doesn't it? Getting that claim honored
is an expensive process. I did this for a Western Digital hard drive,
but I had to pay for the packaging and mailing cost to send the hard
drive I was making warranty claim for to their testing center. I also
had to take the time to prepare the unit for mailing and then actually
mailing it. That time is worth money and it cost me close to what the
hard drive is worth. The entire decision to replace the hard drive
appears to be entirely at Western Digital's discretion; they could have
refused to replace it. In my case they decided to. The entire process of
replacement took about 5 weeks before the replacement drive was received
in the mail. This was not a new drive but a refurbished one. It may have
been about as costly but much faster time-wise simply to toss the drive
and buy a new one, and I suspect that is why Western Digital has this
process in place.

I have had good luck getting Western Digital drives replaced. If you
run their diagnostic code, or have a drive that will not test
because it will not spin up, you can go for an advance exchange -
you have to have a credit card, so they can charge you if you do not
send the bad drive back.

Is this a bootable test program, or does it require that you be running Windows? I've heard of hardware vendors claiming their hardware warranty only covered use in Windows machines.

The way it works is that they send you out a replacement drive, and
you send the bad drive back in the same packaging. I believe return
shipping was also pre-paid. I do know they had the return shipping
label printed. I think I just had to drop it off at UPS or FED-X.
They also included warranty information, as the replacement drive
warranty expired when the warranty on the old drive expired.

Mikkel

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>