Re: Comcast permanent block on port 25

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 09:50 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Comcast bundles several accounts with email and space on their servers
> for storage and http service along with the connection.  There's not a
> lot of reason to run your own server unless you have dynamic content.

Or space?  I don't know about Comcast, but it's typical for ISPs to only
give users a few megabytes, here (e.g. 10 is common).

My first external host only gave out 10 megs on their basic package,
which seems enough, at first.  But apart from it being an obvious limit
on the content that you could serve (e.g. anything more than plain
pages), it was 10 megs for your HTTP content, HTTP logs, mail spools,
webserver temporary files, all combined.  Even a small site could clog
up, quite quickly, if it attracted enough traffic.  Especially since the
only automation offered was to delete last month's logs.  Not email you
them, but delete them.  Likewise, their implementations of spam handling
were just as inept.

I've grown to despise CPanel based systems.  They seem to be used as
turnkey systems for incompetent webhosts.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.