Re: Comcast permanent block on port 25

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 16:00:29 -0600,
 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The low cost residential account comes with terms that say you won't run
servers on it.  If you aren't running a server, it doesn't matter much
if they block port 25 or not.

Except whether or not you run a "server" has little to do with how much
it costs them to provide that service. And this there was actual competition,
that wouldn't be able to get away with that artificial market segmentation.

Sorry to chime in late. But...

I agree with your point, and find our mutual position pointless. You enter into an agreement with the isp. Live up to your end of the agreement.

If the agreement says "no servers", thats what it means, no servers.

Don't like that? Find an isp with service in your area which allows you to run your servers and pay them whatever they charge. Or get a remote machine and tie into that. Or come up with another scheme and a way to pay for it.

Trying to tell a company what is in its best interests will only irritate the beast. Evade, avoid, or flat out game them instead.

YMMV, and so forth. You didn't pay for this advice, and it is worth exactly that in the advice market.