Re: Comcast permanent block on port 25

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:12:05 -0800,
  bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> what the heck are you talking about.. individual freedoms!!!!

It is related to individual freedoms. Real internet access allows you to
communicate freely with others (at least those that want to hear you).
Blocking ports and the like is part of the process of turning the internet
into TV.

> check your T&C from your ISP. I'm willing to bet it's clearly spelled out..
> maybe deep in the docs what you can/can't do regards the network.

It might also allow you to opt out of this feature. Some ISPs do this by
default to keep people who don't need this from having their connection
misused.

> i've frequently run services ssh/vpn/http/smtp/etc... over the network,
> knowing full well that i might be going against their service docs...

You know, if some company is selling "internet" access they shouldn't be
blocking ports, putting in hidden proxies or similar crap. If there are,
they should be selling web access instead.

> i've also known that i could get the biz level system to be able to legally
> run these services. sometimes, i haven't had the cash, others not the time
> to setup the biz accounts...

Worst case it's breach of contract. Violating a TOS isn't illegal in itself.

> but don't confuse your running a service with somekind of "individual
> freedom" thing...

It wouldn't be a big deal if there was real competition in the ISP
business. But because there isn't and in some areas of the US, you can't
get real internet access without paying exhorbitant fees. (Essentially
making you buy an unneeded level of support that is normally or required
by businesses.)