Re: Lets test the h@!! out of KDE4.2 before it releases...

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Raman Gupta <rocketraman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> The first thing i did is set folder view as my desktop.
>> there is something strange in kde. I have a 8600GT (nvidia) card and
>> installed the drivers yet all the graphical effects seem to be
>> slowish..
>
> Try following the instructions here and see if that makes any difference:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA
>
> Cheers,
> Raman

I applied everything from that link you gave me and KDE 4 is now
indeed usable with graphical effects turned on.
It's not going as smooth as i would hope but nearly smooth enough.

My KDE does seem to have other issues now. like the folder view as
desktop mode completely crashes my KDE and returns me to the login
manager.
And that feature is a must have for me. without that feature KDE is
close to useless for me.

Also something important.
I also installed (and removed) compiz fusion. KDE seems to go way more
smoother with compiz fusion then with anything else so perhaps good to
try that out.
I had to install and use the emerald decoration manager to get it all working.

Also an importand point that's finally working in kde. i tend to make
hte taskbar as small as possible but still readable. that gave
problems in previous versions. that's now working fine :D besides that
the fray icons don't get smaller and there seems to be a few pixels
space under the taskbar that are bugged..