Re: Lets test the h@!! out of KDE4.2 before it releases...

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 15:46 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 12:00 -0500, Raman Gupta wrote:
> > Mark wrote:
> > > The first thing i did is set folder view as my desktop.
> > > there is something strange in kde. I have a 8600GT (nvidia) card and
> > > installed the drivers yet all the graphical effects seem to be
> > > slowish..
> >
> > Try following the instructions here and see if that makes any difference:
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Raman
>

> I had the same card and the problem.  Report it and complain.
>
> /rant
> The KDE people blame it on nVidia.  I still say that someone should
> write a utility to allow users to twiddle the settings that they suggest
> we use so that we don't have to manually edit the xorg.conf file.   IN
> WHAT YEAR WILL LINUX USERS NOT HAVE TO MANUALLY EDIT THE XORG.CONF
> FILE ?  I've been doing that since RH8 days.  Its getting old.
> /rant off
----
re: your rant...

If you don't use proprietary, binary only, unsupported video drivers,
you shouldn't have to ever manually edit xorg.conf

It's really that simple

I understand why you are installing the proprietary blob drivers but
your ire needs to be directed at the companies that refuse to open
source their video drivers for whatever reasons because that means only
those companies can make the behavioral changes.

Craig