Re: F10, VMware Server 2.0, and selinux

On Sunday 14 December 2008 12:08:44 Gilboa Davara wrote:
> To be honest, AFAIR VMWare Server 1.0.x, beyond being EOL, doesn't
> support kernels >= 2.6.26 - even with the latest any-to-any patch.
> Though, AFAIK, it didn't have SELinux problem under both F8 and F9.
> On the other side VMWare Server 2.x hass replaced the GTK console
> application with a super-complex web-client which, coupled with VMWare's
> known tendency to release half-broken RPMs, makes it an SELinux accident
> waiting to happen...

Let me be precise. I have VMWare server running right now on this laptop on
which I'm typing this message. In 'About' it says it is version 1.0.7
build-108231; my running kernel is -
# uname -r
2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686
the patch I'm using to make it work is called vmware-update-2.6.27-5.5.7-2
which I found using Google - it has survived several kernel upgrades and
supercedes the any-any patches

I haven't bothered to install VMWare Server 2.X because at the moment, I have
no need for it, and as you point out, it's a bit more complicated. I haven't
tried any of the linux-land alternatives yet for the same reason. My approach
may work for some, if not for all, but, to simply make the blanket statement
that VMWare server is broken for F10 or for Kernels > 2.6.26 is wrong.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD