Re: FC11: Two Suggestions

homburg@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:21:07 -0600
"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At the risk of being a complete apostate, I have ALWAYS
disabled SELinux. Please, no gratuitous lectures. I also
absolutely loathe the rhgb. IMHO, these should all be
install options, enabled by default with an "expert
only" or similar warning.
Re: SELInux? Why do you do so?

Because it serves no purpose - for me.
That is understandable. But it seems enough people have a purpose for it, and that is why it is set up the way it is currently. Additional tuning options would be nice for install, but since I know how to do it myself after it is installed, I am fine with it. And I am not installing enough systems to merit a change, otherwise I would use something like Puppet Master and Cobbler to manage those setting in bulk.

Though, rhgb is.. well nice, makes it feel less complex to the new user, I like the old style boot better myself. That is an easy thing to change, and takes 30 seconds to remove and it tends to stay removed even after updates, so 30 seconds right off the bat after one 'pretty' boot isn't that bad. That and I also use runlevel 3 on all my linux systems because I don't have a real need for a GUI, and if I do need one, it is easier to be web based than console based for me.
This is possibly a business decision because of the
amount of time devoted to Bugzilla by Redhat employees.
How is bugzilla related to this?

Because Bugzilla causes a considerable consumption of time
by people on RH's payroll. Some of these issues reduce user
errors that get reported as bugs incorrectly.
Unless you paid for the access to Bugzilla (I never have, it is free as far as I can see) then payroll has no roll in this. Redhat has a slightly different way of support that is paid for, not a free any one can access this type of system. Bugzilla has no relation to this, in the manner that the thread is stating.

That is like saying because I help out with MySQL, or help out with Fedora, I am on Redhats, or the MySQL payroll for the help. It seems just to be confused on what the support pay is going to.