Re: Next silly Q, ktorrent this time.

On Monday 01 December 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> I did the sha1sum on the burnt disk, it was good, but the dvd doesn't
>> autoboot in the machine I was going to put it on.  Ubuntu's Hardy Heron cd
>> does, in the same dvd reader. I haven't tried it here to see if it will
>> autoboot though, and should.
>
>The BIOS may not know DVD, but there is something you can try before you
> start trying new BIOS versions. Any machine that old has a floppy, and
> there's a floppy program you can boot which knows how to boot CDs and DVDs
> from any reasonable ATAPI IDE reader (I but you use IDE not SATA). Someone
> on this list will know where to get it so I don't have to search. It's the
> boot floppy for Puppy Linux, or Damn Small Linux, or one of the micro
> distributions, and I used it about two years ago.

I went here:
<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade#The_Diskette_Updater>
and created a bootable dos-6.22 cd that thinks it is a 2.88 meg drive A: (and
the real floppy becomes B:) but when I navigate to B: and enter the filename
I can see, they then report they don't run under DOS. Bummer.

So I boot it to F9U and have yum install wine*.  It does in due time, but then
wine insists the (*&^$% floppy is D: and it gets all the way through the
unpacking of the .exe, than asks for a fresh clean floppy in drive a: before
it will do anything else.  So I go edit the config file and change the letter
d to an a.  That works and I have an A: drive, but wine thinks its an NTFS
formatted drive and cannot, regardless of the emulation mode chosen in the
wine.config, access a vfat formatted disk.  Reading the disk only works at
the default d: drive assignment.

So now I'm waiting for a "wine expert" to throw me a bag of fresh bones to
gnaw on.  There has to be a way to update the bios on this 8 year old SOB. I
don't have the original XP install as WGA locked me out of it when I replaced
the dead psu and added another stick of memory.  I intended to put linux on
it anyway, so that's no big loss to me.  Till now.  I'm ready to go throw a
chair at Steve Balmer. :)

Did I mention that I think M$ is a bunch of paranoid rectums?

Help, I need a bios patcher that works with linux or wine.  For old Phoenix
boxes.

[...]

>No, I didn't notice the price, sorry.

Big Lots had those, but only about 3/8" thick, but like you said, a $20 for a
2x4 foot area.  I have one out in the old workshop shed.  And can't say as it
helps all that much, a quarter inch of cherry chips works better IMO. :)

>And watch the cold, I have been down for three weeks and semi-functional for
> two more with pneumonia. Worst thing is that antibiotics make everything
> taste like garbage, even good microbrew beer.

And I've been told by the medics, several times now that alcohol reduces the
effectiveness of most antibiotics.  You'll get better faster without even if
it seems longer. :)

I got a fresh pneumonia shot this year, along with the flu shot, so I should
be good to go in those depts, if they guessed right on the flu strains this
year.

Wine experts, please opine on how to fix this one.

Thanks Bill.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)