Re: Next silly Q, ktorrent this time.

On Monday 01 December 2008, g wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> if sha1sum check is good, it should boot.
>>>
>>> if box it will not boot in has old bios, then dvd may not be recognized,
>>> while a cd is.
>>
>> I just tried it with several other mixed dvd's and cd's that were
>> supposedly bootable, and they all did, except the F10 dvd.
>
>just as a 'try something' and see where problem may be, run;
>  'dd if=/dev/sr0 of=bootsec-00.hex bs=512 count=1' [incrementing '-00']
>on dvd's and run 'diff' to see what may have changed.

I hadn't done that, does thinking about it count? :)

According to diff, no diff. Using this command line:
diff bootsec-F09U.hex bootsec-10.hex

So its deeper than that.  Hey, a dvd block size is 2048.  Is 512 enough?

>>  I just burnt another, same
>> brand of media as the Fu9 I have installed on it, and from the same
>> spindle of HP dvd-r disks, just for grins.  And it won't boot in that
>> drive either. The bios does look at the disk, it just doesn't like what it
>> sees I guess.
>>
>>> when box boots, press <scroll lock> to hold bios notice and write it
>>> down. check mainboard site for bios upgrade.
>>
>> This bios ignores that, I had a hell of a time catching it and memorizing
>> it.
>>

>> Phoenix Bios 6.0.D.  The box is old, 1Ghz athlon.
>
>then a bios update may be in order.

Probably too old, and HP's web site search sucks, I won't say how bad but its
rated in Torrs with a -39 ee notation.

I found 2 bios updates, depends on the motherboard in this one and I have NDI
how to determine that quickly.  So I grabbed them both and will burn one to a
floppy and try them.  And the bios in it is only 2.02D.  Should be fun.. :)
Later friend.

>>> take 2 aspirin, 2 sudafed, and a pint of bourbon. may not help rid your
>>> cold, but your nose will not be running and you really will not mind.
>>
>> I learned decades ago, that when I mix alcohol with a cold, its an instant
>> strept throat & 2 weeks on Erythromycin 500's, 3x/day.
>
>strep is no pleasure. that being case, how about gin, vodka, or rum? <bwg>

Its the alky that does it.  I can drink one beer, but 2 is out.  My normal is
2 an evening, of very lo cal stuff.

>i learned a pint of bourbon and a bunch of covers to sweat out a fever in
> late 1960 while station in denver. worked real great. tried on a cold, did
> not help, but like i said, did not care.
>
>> Naw, just a place for all her media, a 42" tv, the tuner/amp, dvd player
>> and somewhere along the line a decent turntable so I can rip about 300
>> pounds of 12" lp's accumulated over a 34 year period of teaching primary
>> school kids something about music.  8 drawers in the bottom of it, 2 big
>> enough for lp's on edge. I don't think they will hold them all either,
>> but...

>>> lay cardboard on floor where working.
>>
>> Don't have any that big, but I have noted that a layer of wood chips from
>> the planer or jointer sure help.
>
>ok. a cabinet maker / wood craftsman. most i have known have been like you.

Actually I'm a semi-retired broadcast engineer.  Need something to keep me out
of the bars, otherwise I'd sit in this chair till the odor of death was
present I fear.

>always building something new and never time to clean floor. why waste time
>cleaning up when it will just get covered again. :o)

Yup, but it gets cleaned up about weekly, but the next day it starts all over
again.

<http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/Genes-Web-pages.html>

>you must be too busy working in shop to notice termites got to you home
> page.

A typu as SWMBO would say, make the first 'Gene' into 'gene'.
I fixed it above. :)  And I have 5 pounds of boric acid powder on hand in case
the termites come back, we've had the place professionally treated less than
10 years ago, for the third time. WV seems to have an endless supply of those
critters.  There is also a flashing barrier between the wooden garage walls
base sills and the retaining wall I built that two of the walls are standing
on. :)  Level land in WV is very expensive, takes lots of caterpiller fuel to
make it.  In fact its been said that if WV was stomped out flat it would be
bigger than Texas.

>i just built a 12' x 16' yard barn with loft. wish i had shot progress pics,
>but i did shoot a bunch after. not on any home page yet, but do plan to.

Mine is the same size, visible in some of the pix under the Garage link, views
from the top of the house all around.  The one with the front deck. :) Not a
lot of overhead, enough to store a few sticks.  Some interior views of the
mess in there are under the emc link on that page.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)