Re: Next silly Q, ktorrent this time.

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2008, g wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I did the sha1sum on the burnt disk, it was good, but the dvd doesn't
>>> autoboot in the machine I was going to put it on.  Ubuntu's Hardy Heron cd
>>> does, in the same dvd reader. I haven't tried it here to see if it will
>>> autoboot though, and should.
>> if sha1sum check is good, it should boot.
>>
>> if box it will not boot in has old bios, then dvd may not be recognized,
>> while a cd is.
>>

> I just tried it with several other mixed dvd's and cd's that were supposedly
> bootable, and they all did, except the F10 dvd.

just as a 'try something' and see where problem may be, run;
  'dd if=/dev/sr0 of=bootsec-00.hex bs=512 count=1' [incrementing '-00']
on dvd's and run 'diff' to see what may have changed.

  I just burnt another, same
> brand of media as the Fu9 I have installed on it, and from the same spindle
> of HP dvd-r disks, just for grins.  And it won't boot in that drive either.
> The bios does look at the disk, it just doesn't like what it sees I guess.
>
>> when box boots, press <scroll lock> to hold bios notice and write it down.
>> check mainboard site for bios upgrade.
>
> This bios ignores that, I had a hell of a time catching it and memorizing it.
>

> Phoenix Bios 6.0.D.  The box is old, 1Ghz athlon.

then a bios update may be in order.

>>> Down with a cold, I haven't really felt like doing a whole lot.
>> take 2 aspirin, 2 sudafed, and a pint of bourbon. may not help rid your
>> cold, but your nose will not be running and you really will not mind.
>

> I learned decades ago, that when I mix alcohol with a cold, its an instant
> strept throat & 2 weeks on Erythromycin 500's, 3x/day.

strep is no pleasure. that being case, how about gin, vodka, or rum? <bwg>

i learned a pint of bourbon and a bunch of covers to sweat out a fever in late
1960 while station in denver. worked real great. tried on a cold, did not help,
but like i said, did not care.

> Naw, just a place for all her media, a 42" tv, the tuner/amp, dvd player and
> somewhere along the line a decent turntable so I can rip about 300 pounds of
> 12" lp's accumulated over a 34 year period of teaching primary school kids
> something about music.  8 drawers in the bottom of it, 2 big enough for lp's
> on edge. I don't think they will hold them all either, but...
>>> but my shop has very little heat and the current temp is about 2C.
>>> Being diabetic, that equals some darned cold feet. :(
>> lay cardboard on floor where working.
>

> Don't have any that big, but I have noted that a layer of wood chips from the
> planer or jointer sure help.

ok. a cabinet maker / wood craftsman. most i have known have been like you.
always building something new and never time to clean floor. why waste time
cleaning up when it will just get covered again. :o)

> <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/Gene/Genes-Web-pages.html>

you must be too busy working in shop to notice termites got to you home page.

i just built a 12' x 16' yard barn with loft. wish i had shot progress pics,
but i did shoot a bunch after. not on any home page yet, but do plan to.

code inspectors that came out for checks, told me it was well built and that
i did have a lot of 'over kill'. even said loft, with 2" x 10" x 12' on 12"
centers and double studs every 4', was strong enough to hold a car. problem
is i do not have a drive up ramp to check it out. [yet]

> Humm, I think I've wandered off topic again, blame it on a senior moment or
> whatever.

i am 68 and looking forward to 'senior moments'.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition'   http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'The Linux Documentation Project'   http://www.tldp.org/