Re: Is this grub.conf file correct?

On Sat, November 15, 2008 10:24 pm, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is on the same computer where I cannot log in because I never get a
password prompt
> (even if I boot into single user mode and reset the root passwd
successfully)

> I am wondering if the problem depends on wrong boot options in grub.conf
or /etc/fstab.
> There is only one SATA hard disk. During the install I  left partitions as
> they were before, when running FC8: sda1 as /boot, sda2 as swap, sda3 as /

more on this:

if, in rescue mode, I run fsck /dev/sda1 I get

Warning: couldn't open /etc/fstab
/boot1: clean  (that is, no /boot as I imagined)

same for /dev/sda3 (/dev/sda2 is swap):

/1: clean (instead of / )

is this wrong, and if yes how to fix it so that /dev/sda1 results as /boot
and /dev/sda3 as / ?
Also, can this be the reason why I get no password prompt? when I try to
login?

THanks,
Marco

> Now ended up with this grub.conf:
>
> default=0
> timeout=20
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.img.gz
> root (hd0,0)
> title Fedora 9
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64 rhgb
> initrd /initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64.img
>
> and /etc/fstab is:
>

> UUID=long_string_here / ext3 defaults 1 1
> UUID=another_long_string_here /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> tmpfs .....
> devpts ........
> sysfs ........
> proc ........
> UUID=other_long_string swap defaults 0 0
>
> the non-UUID lines are the same (IIRC) as they were in the previous
> install
>
> The question is, are those two files consistant among themselves and the
> disk configuration? And could an error there be what makes no password
> prompt appear when you login?
>
> TIA,
> Marco
>
> --

Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Software:
http://digifreedom.net