Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:41:14 -0800, Mike Wright wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
	[...]
>> 	How then can you get a client without a server? If I let yum
>> install this one thing, is there then (only then) a way to split it and
>> get rid of half? Remember I neither have nor am likely to acquire the
>> savvy to handle electronic attacks.
>
> There are different packages: telnet (the client) and telnet-server.

	Oho! Then all those who said "get rid of telnet" really *meant*
"get rid of telnet-server." Right?

	So does that mean I should run "yum install telnet" on all
machines? With the server on none? Or only the client on only the machine
with the printer? What responds to "telnet 192.168.a.b 631" on a machine
with no telnet at all?

	For that matter, what about "ssh 192.168.a.b 631" instead? I am
at least relatively familiar with ssh.

	If the KVM switch's printserver really was what suddenly crippled
my #1 machine, it's certainly worth a lot of effort setting up another
way. (And yes, I still realize that we don't know for sure; that's still
just the working hypothesis.) At least, it's worth it to me -- even
though, at the moment, I'm getting more confused rather than less so ...
<sigh>