Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Beartooth wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:26:06 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Beartooth wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:40:42 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Isn't it easier just to say
	telnet 192.168.a.b 631
Doesn't this tell you if you are connected to the CUPS server much
more simply?

	I take care not to install telnet, or to remove it if anaconda
installs it.

The telnet client is handy to have. The telnet server is the one you
would normally want to remove.

Apps like pirut and the packagekit give me only a single choice, telnet or no telnet, without any indication of role; and rpm -q says "not installed." So I had supposed, absent any indication to the contrary, that it was a single package, comprising if not functioning as both a server and a client -- and nobody ever told me "Get rid of telnet server," but simply "Get rid of telnet." Also, if I plug the numbers in to "telnet 192.168.a.b 631" I get an error saying "command not found."

If I try "yum install telnet-client" or "...telnet_client," or "...telnetclient," I get a message saying no such package is available.

If I put a space between the words, as if telnet and client were two apps, it tells me client is not available, and offers to install telnet -- one unitary thing.

How then can you get a client without a server? If I let yum install this one thing, is there then (only then) a way to split it and get rid of half? Remember I neither have nor am likely to acquire the savvy to handle electronic attacks.

There are different packages: telnet (the client) and telnet-server.

hth