Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Beartooth wrote:

> 	On #1, Where the printer is and I am now, I see almost identical
> entries :
>
> 	====		=====		=====		=====
>
> Search in Printers: Clear
>
> Showing 2 of 2 printers.
>   	Sort Descending
> psc-1310-series- (Default Printer)
> Location:
> Printer Driver: HP PSC 1310 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: hp:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=CN4AIC71YKO2
>
> Print Test Page 	Stop Printer Reject Jobs Move All Jobs Cancel All
> Jobs 	Unpublish Printer Modify Printer Set Printer Options Delete
> Printer Set As Default Set Allowed Users
>
> psc-1310-series-2
> Location:
> Printer Driver: HP PSC 1310 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
> Printer State: processing, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: usb://hp/psc%201310%20series?serial=CN4AIC71YKO2
>
> Print Test Page 	Stop Printer Reject Jobs Move All Jobs Cancel All
> Jobs 	Unpublish Printer Modify Printer Set Printer Options Delete
> Printer Set As Default Set Allowed Users
> =====		=====		=====		=====
>
> 	On the second one, presently not the default, I see "usb" twice;
> since this is the machine *with* the printer, I should make it the
> default, right?
>
> 	And on the others, assuming identical entries, the opposite?
>
> 	I'll either do that, or post additional replies if I find any
> surprises. (The troubleshooter did install a driver on at least one
> machine; and there are at least two reports on each machine.)

Strange that you have 2 entries. On the machines without the
printer, you should be using the on that has:
Device URI: ipp://<something>

You may have to make the changes I listed in another e-mail - the
one describing what checkboxes to make sure are checked.

On the machine with the printer attached, try printing a test page
on each printer, and see what works best. Set that as the default,
and remove the other printer. Then move on the setting the other
versions of CUPS. You should be able to administer all the CUPS
setups from one machine, and you should see an ipp:// printer on all
the machines that do not have a printer attached.

Once you have things working the way you want, you should be able to
delete all the usb://hp/psc%201310%20series?serial=CN4AIC71YKO2 and
the  hp:/usb/psc_1310_series?serial=CN4AIC71YKO2 entry on all except
the machine with the printer attached.

Mikkel