Re: FEDORA net etiquette

"Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using F"Community
assistance, encouragement, and advice for using F"Community assistance,
advice for using FJames Wilkinson wrote:
> g wrote:
>> you use mutt. can mutt not send 'text/plain' in 8 bit?
>
> It does, and did. It looks as though somewhere en-route my last e-mail
> got recoded a couple of times, though.

gander at copy from your header as i see;

+++
	listman.util.phx.redhat.com id m9VMGHad022594
+++

> Incidentally,
<snip>
** no need going into this part now, as i think/hope
** you will see more of what i am getting at below.

> 1. Red Hat Linux 8.0 adopted UTF-8 as a default for most locales. As far
>    as I am aware, all Fedora mail clients support UTF-8, and most other
>    modern e-mail clients do¹. So why not make use of it?
<snip>

>> the 'guidelines' state, in general terms, 'plain text'. for some reason there
>> are posters who continue to send 'mime', 'quoted' and 'base64' instead of
>> 'text/plain 8-bit'.
>
> text/plain is a MIME term. Quoted-printable and base64 are valid
> encodings of text/plain: according to the relevant standards, being
> quoted-printable or base64 doesn’t stop an e-mail being text/plain.

to clear things a bit, i hope, in my second line above your reply,
*mime* should not have been quoted, as my dislike is primarily with
'quoted' and 'base64'. still, i do not care for mime.

'quoted' will substitute an equal sign plus a 2 byte hex code, from ascii
table for special characters, ie, *=3d* for 'equal sign' and *=20* for a
'space' if at end of a line. this to me is 'illogical'. as is rest of this
use for what is *standard ascii*.

now, in your message and in your "1." above, 3rd line is, -> do¹ <-.
which, viewed in hexeditor, after 'do' is c3 82 c2 b9 and equates to
- -> 't <- and using 4 bytes to represent 2 bytes of *standard ascii*.

in your reply, line just before my reply, is -> doesn’t <-.
which, viewed in hexeditor, after 'doesn' is c3 a2 e2 82 ac e2 84 a2
and equates to -> 't <- and using 8 bytes to represent 2 bytes of
*standard ascii*.

where in again i say, and continue to say _mime_is_a_waste_. no matter
how you look at it, using 12 bytes to represent 4 bytes is 8 bytes waste.

**note** i still have not gone thru all the trouble of setting thunderbird
to be fully *mime compliant* and i see actually special coding. [waste ;o)]

> This guideline is aimed against text/HTML.

and should include 'quoted' and 'base64'...

> You may care to take a look at RFCs 2045 to 2049, the RFCs defining MIME.

i read them years back when mime came out, and a few months back, i skimmed
thru them. because you bring them up again, i will go back and read in entire.
plus a couple others that are still in my bookmarks.

later. i need to grab a bite of food and put in some more 'barn time'.
- --

tc,hago.

.

learn linux: