Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:43:14 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:22:18 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
	[...]
>> * enable Network Printing Client (IPP) packets through the firewall by
>> selection System->Administration->Firewall, selecting the "Network
>> Printing Client (IPP)" check-box and clicking Apply.
>
> 	WOW!! What a difference! I did that on machine #2 (only, so far).
>
> 	When I click on Printers, I see what the machine thinks are
> *nine* : my wife's downstairs is there twice, once as itself and once
> with "-fax" appended to it. All the other seven are my one machine, once
> as default with my name for the machine it's on, but no IP; the others
> have either an IP or some other indication where they are; I'm seeing it
> double on #1 (as default and not), and double on #4 (with its same
> correct IP both times, not together); sometimes it shows as published,
> sometimes not.
>
> 	I tried to print the router's table, with IP and MAC numbers,
> from a browser (Konqueror, despite the fact i run Gnome); but it just
> asked me if the printer were connected.
>
> 	Iiuc, I should go do the same on the other two clients (machine
> #3 and #4, no printer attached), but *not* on #1, which does have the
> printer, and must therefore be acting as the server. Right?

	I did that, but did not try again to print, nor to configure
anything on one machine from another.

	I did check the printers listed -- and found no two lists the
same.

	#1 shows its own printer, and nothing else, not even my wife's.

	#2, as previously reported, shows my wife's twice, and mine seven
different ways on three identifiable (by me) machines.

	#3 shows my wife's twice, and mine four times, if you accept the
designation "default" as telling me it's on #1.

	#4 machine shows my wife's twice, and mine five times,
identifying them in various ways.

	There's more detail, among which it may be of interest that,
somewhere in all that, I noticed an identification of a printer on one
machine, and a driver of a different machine.

	Whoo - ooo -- oooie!