Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:59:56 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> 	I've been advised, more or less btw in an otherwise scarcely
>> related thread, to quit using my KVM switch (which has spare USB ports
>> touted by the maker especially for printserving) as a printserver.
>>
>> 	So I plugged the printer (an HP psc 1315v) into my #1 machine;
>> and I've been telling Firefox 127.0.0.1:631 on each of the machines,
>> and trying to get it to work.
>>
>> 	I thought I had it; and when I print at all, it's most often from
>> Alpine 2.0. So I've been trying to print one Alpine message from each
>> machine.
>>
>> 	One at least told me the printer seemed not to be connected. The
>> others have adamantly done nothing.
>>
>> 	Since all I know of printing would go in a gnat's eye, and Alpine
>> has several printing options (none of which I understand well), my
>> first thought is to try to find out if I have a pure Alpine problem, a
>> pure CUPS problem, or something else. Can anybody tell??
>>
> Dumb question - is the new printer connection set as the default
> printer? I am guessing that the USB connection through the KVM switch
> was the default printer on each machine.

	I think so. They all show it twice, in fact : as psc-1310-
series-, and either the same with underlines instead of hyphens, or with
a "2" at the end.

	I've just tried the troubleshooter on two or three of the
machines, against each iteration of the printer, and gotten reports, but
no solution.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3