Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 21:52 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:29:41 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> 	[...]
> > May I recommend you start here? Find out which one of these entries
> > works, use it, and delete the other. Don’t look into network printing
> > until you’ve got local printing working reliably.
> >
> > Having two entries for the same printer on the same computer is an
> > opportunity for both CUPS and you to get confused.¹
> >
> > Once you’ve got local printing working, then you may want to start from
> > scratch on other PC, so you know you’re sharing the printer entry that
> > works.
> 	[...]
> > ¹ There are sometimes good reasons for doing so, mind, but that’s more
> > advanced stuff.
>
> 	Yes, somebody else recommended that, and I did it as soon as I
> was sure he meant it.
>
> 	The current situation is that printing works on #1, where the
> printer is -- and not from the others.
>
> -
Ok, here is the deal. Configure all the printers on the server. On the
clients do no configuration at all ,none. And you will be able to print
to all the printers. Any configuration you do on the clients will
undoubtedly screw things up. One exception. In the /etc/cups/client.conf
file you can fill in the ServerName line with the address of the server.
Leave the admin boxes alone.