Re: 54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:48 +0000, g wrote:

> Björn Persson wrote:
> <snip>
> > Switching the KVM switch is equivalent to unplugging all the devices from one
> > computer and plugging them into another. Linux will print some messages every
> > time you plug in or remove a USB device
----
no - a kvm should provide a continuous connection to each system but
only route mouse/keyboard events when the proper terminal is selected.
Other USB device event routing is sort of up to the imagination of the
device developers as there really isn't much of a standard here.

I clearly don't have problems switching around systems with KVM
including USB and/or PS/2 keyboard & mice & even a Wacom tablet
----
> as a 'side note', this should serve as a warning to anyone considering using
> a kvm switch.
>
> non usb kvm switches do not have this problem. i have a ps/2 kvm switch
> that works great and yet to have any problems when switching between systems.
----
it would help if you followed the conversation...the problem is not usb
kvm which are actually becoming the norm because most modern
motherboards do not even bother with ps/2 connectors, but rather that
his particular kvm offers the ability to become a device hub which
theoretically, meant that you could plug devices such as usb printers
and they were for most purposes, shared. The devil of course is in the
details and apparently the details aren't handled too well on that
particular kvm.

Craig