Re: 54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:08:15 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:40 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>
>> and I did. Starting after that, I get this, so far (without, nota bene,
>> having laid a finger on any usb anything, much less tried to fax
>> anything anywhere) :
>
> You sure you don't  have one of those All in One type printers or
> something attached via usb to your machine?

	Thanks for the cue! I was just going to post about that.

	First, I decided to run tail -f /var/log/messages on all four
main machines (i.e., those behind my KVM switch), on the theory that
keeping an eye on all would make any anomaly more likely to stand out.

	What I'm finding is, on the contrary, that the messages look very
similar on all four.

	Now as to hardware -- which has been in place for many months
with few or no problems.

	The KVM switch is a MiniView G-CSIO4U, a 4-port USB switch with
two extra USB ports in back, into which the manufacturer says you can
connect any two peripherals you want to share among your machines.

	The printer (an HP PSC 1315v, also USB)) has been in one of those
ports for an age. My external DVD RW drive gets plugged into and out of
the other port all the time; but the printer stays on the same
connection. (The keyboard, mouse (which is indeed an hp), and monitor all
get shifted to one individual machine when I do an install or upgrade (so
that the monitor and PC can negotiate settings), and otherwise stay on
the switch.

	Marginal note : I've noticed that, if I hit the KVM switch's
button while one PC is printing, the printer stops till I come back to
that machine.

	Absent-mindedness is the occupational hazard of the
professoriate, and like so much else is exacerbated with age; so it's
possible that I was doing something odd yesterday and don't remember --
or, of course, didn't realize it was odd. But fwiw, I think not.

	Marginal note 2 : it is quite common, certainly with me and I
believe with others, for everything to hang for some seconds every time I
use the KVM switch; and the mouse is usually the last thing I see
recognized. (I print very little, and have no idea how long it takes to
recognize the printer.)

	Finally, an hour or so ago, I tried turning the printer off with
its power switch. Since that time, the messages have become fewer, but
not stopped.