Re: 54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:15:06 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Björn Persson wrote:
>>
>> I'd imagine that the messages about the printer have stopped, and the
>> ones about the keyboard, the mouse and the hub continue. (There's a USB
>> hub inside the KVM switch.) Every time you switch to another machine to
>> look for new messages, you cause more messages.
>>
>> Those messages aren't errors and you don't need to worry about them as
>> long as the log doesn't grow out of control again. It's quite possible
>> that most of those 54 GB was something completely different that hasn't
>> resurfaced yet. I'd recommend doing "ls -l /var/log/messages*" now and
>> then to keep an eye on it, and investigate further if it grows to many
>> megabytes.
>>
>> Björn Persson
>>
> I have not been really been following this thread, but I do remember
> something about having to go and read root's messages. I got the
> impression that root's mail never gets read. If all root's mail is
> building up in his mail box, and it never gets cleaned out, it is
> probably a significant cause of the problem as well. (I wounder how many
> "running out of disk space" messages root has...) Part of the fix should
> probably include setting up an alias so root's mail go to a normal user.
> If it is not going to be read at all, then maybe forward it to
> /dev/null. :)

	Well, it's true, alas!, that I hardly ever think to read root's
mail; otoh, wouldn't it show up in baobab if root's mail were getting
bloated? That's how the bloat in /var/log/messages showed up.

	I'm online too much as it is; and most logs are nearly gibberish
to me.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0