Re: flash and firefox again

Ed Greshko wrote, On 10/23/2008 08:15 PM:
Todd Denniston wrote:
Frank Cox wrote, On 10/20/2008 10:50 PM:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:10:57 -0500
Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I didn't find anything helpful with a quick Google search for "flash 10
multitheaded" but maybe it is an issue with multi-core machines?
That's a thought.  I have never been able to watch CNN videos on this
dual-core
machine, even with Flash 10, but they work on the single-core machine
that's
sitting beside it.  Both running F8.

have you considered/ever tried forcing flash &| the browser &| X
processes to operate only on one processor (core) with taskset, just
to see if it may be a context switching/processor cache bashing problem?

I have noticed on the dual Xeon 1.50GHz W/512MB I use, that if I lock
X to the second processor, when visiting animated sites like
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true
The whole system is smother and the animation is less glitchy.
[with out locking X pulls ~85%cpu (of combined cpus),
  with locking X pulls ~10-50%cpu (of combined cpus), on that page
after it self reloads.]

Other than in the "Advertisement" area I don't see any other "flash" on
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true .

When you were talking about "less glitchy" were you talking about the
radar animation or some other aspect of that page?  The radar animation
is part of javascript.

Sorry.
You are correct that I was less than clear...
I don't have flash on my systems, as it has to be upgraded too often for security holes.

I meant that the animations were less glitchy, and that the whole X session was less glitchy.

--
Todd Denniston