Re: Update Problems

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:39:59PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 20:02 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:

> > > Sounds like you need to right-click on the icon and configure it.
> > >
> > > poc
> >
> > Thanks for this tip!
> >
> > I right clicked on the icon and then clicked on 'configure network'.
> > I immediately got the message
> >
> > Disconnected
> >
> > The network connection has been disconnected.
> >
> > Then left clicking on the icon generates a long
> > message saying that each device (named) has been disconnected.
> > All that text is grayed out.
> >
> > Where is the Documentation for Network Manager?
>
> There's a website but no useful end-user docs that I've ever seen. The
> man page says it's supposed to Just Work (tm). I haven't had trouble
> with it once I decided it knew what it was doing better than I did and
> just got out of the way, but other people haven't had so much luck.

I have been running F9 and SUSE 11 for about 2 months now. Prior to that
I had been running OpenBSD and FreeBSD. I had no knowledge whatsoever
about Linux networking when the F9 stopped working at bootup one day.
Then I began searching for the network initialization code and found
that Linux seems to be quite different from *BSD. So when I couldn't
figure out what needed to be fixed, I just tried running dhclient as I
do in *BSD. Voila! Ping, etc worked again. It seems however, that there
are consequences from not fixing the network problem properly, whatever
that problem is.

> One thing you need to be sure of: do not ever attempt to use NM and
> the older network stuff (system-config-network etc.) at the same time.
> You said earlier that you were using dhclient, which could be
> interfering (NM does this on its own). Run serviceconf as root and
> make sure NetworkManager is enabled and "network" is *disabled*.
> Rebooting would probably be a good idea too, though in theory the Stop
> button on "network" should be enough.

Thanks again for the above info.