Re: Update Problems

Dave Feustel wrote:
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 03:01:29PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
Dave Feustel wrote:
Are you using Network Manager, and if so is NM managing your interface?
1. Is there a nm-applet in the upper panel on the left?
2. Check what:chkconfig --list |grep NetworkManager returns
I don't understand either point 1 or point 2; I do almost everything via
the command line in xterm. Could you elaborate?
If you have a /var/run/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.pid file, then
NetworkManager is running.  That's probably the most reliable way.

If you're in a GUI, look around in the taskbars and see if there's an
icon that looks like two computers, one in front of the other.  Right
click on it and select "About" from the drop-down menu.

If the About box says "NetworkManager Applet", then NetworkManager is
running.  If it says "Network Monitor" then NetworkManager is NOT
running.  The problem is that the icon for the NetworkManager applet and
the one for Network Monitor are damned near identical.  It's caught me
by surprise before.

Thanks for this. I actually understand it!

Good!  :-)

There is an icon on the upper panel next to the date which, when I put
the mouse cursor over it, displays the message "no network connection".
As I mentioned in a previous post, the system stopped connecting at
boot, and I got internet connectivity by executing dhclient. Obviously,
that command by itself does not properly set network connectivity and
I have not figured out yet how to fix the broken step in bootup.

Well, we still don't know if it's NetworkManager (NM for short) or if
you're using ye ol' network stuff.  My guess is it's NM (the "About"
will tell you).

If it's NM, then make sure "Enable Networking" is checkmarked (right click on icon). If it isn't then NM won't try to manage the network and that may be where you're having issues. If it's not checked, right click on the NM applet icon and left-click on the "Enable Networking"
option.  Then wait a few seconds to see if it fires up.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -