Re: Update Problems

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 20:02 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 06:22:07PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 18:32 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> >
> > > There is an icon on the upper panel next to the date which, when I put
> > > the mouse cursor over it, displays the message "no network connection".
> > > As I mentioned in a previous post, the system stopped connecting at
> > > boot, and I got internet connectivity by executing dhclient. Obviously,
> > > that command by itself does not properly set network connectivity and
> > > I have not figured out yet how to fix the broken step in bootup.
> >
> > Sounds like you need to right-click on the icon and configure it.
> >
> > poc
>
> Thanks for this tip!
>
> I right clicked on the icon and then clicked on 'configure network'.
> I immediately got the message
>
> Disconnected
>
> The network connection has been disconnected.
>
> Then left clicking on the icon generates a long
> message saying that each device (named) has been disconnected.
> All that text is grayed out.
>
> Where is the Documentation for Network Manager?

There's a website but no useful end-user docs that I've ever seen. The
man page says it's supposed to Just Work (tm). I haven't had trouble
with it once I decided it knew what it was doing better than I did and
just got out of the way, but other people haven't had so much luck.

One thing you need to be sure of: do not ever attempt to use NM and the
older network stuff (system-config-network etc.) at the same time. You
said earlier that you were using dhclient, which could be interfering
(NM does this on its own). Run serviceconf as root and make sure
NetworkManager is enabled and "network" is *disabled*. Rebooting would
probably be a good idea too, though in theory the Stop button on
"network" should be enough.

poc