Re: [OT] EeePC - to Fedora or not?

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

>> I haven't found any mention of NFS or even ssh
>> on the EeePC so far, but I guess they must be there somewhere.
>> Also I'd like to have an xterm or konsole window,
>> but I don't see that either.
>
> Hmm. I have the impression you didn't read enough before asking.
>
> <CTRL><ALT>-T to open a console.

Yes, I discovered that after sending my previous post.
In defence, for some bizarre reason it does not seem to be mentioned
in the Software Users Manual.
Nor is NFS or ssh or anything like that.
I looked for an Add User icon, but they do not seem to like
the idea of users either;
the password one is asked for when first booting the machine
turns out (to my surprise) to be the root password.

Perhaps there should be a warning somewhere, "If you are a Linux user,
do not read the Software Users Manual.
Instead type Ctrl-Alt-T, and you will be in familiar territory.
In fact the OS as the user sees it is more Windows than Windows.
At least in Windows there is an icon to open a DOS window.

>> I don't really want to use Star Office to write documents;
>> it seems to take rather a long time to open for one thing.
>
> Star Office? Xandros and Fedora come with OpenOffice. The same wiki has
> instructions to upgrade to last version on Xandros. If you don't like
> OpenOffice, with synaptic you can select another (abiword, lyx...
> hehehe).

If you click on Work=>Documents on my EeePC
you are taken to Star Office.
There is no mention that I see of OpenOffice.
[In any case, I wouldn't want to use OpenOffice any more than Star Office
to write a text document.]

>> > *If you want to use for development, work in your office, I wouldn't
>> > encourage it, the SSD behaves too slow.

The SSD does not seem particularly slow to me ...

> But as you said, you don't need it
> for a heavy work.

I don't know what you mean by "heavy work".
I don't believe in storing information on a laptop,
if that is what you mean.

>> My favourite computer for all time was the Sony Picturebook (C series)
>> which if anything is a bit smaller.

> Nice, didn't see it. On google images, the computer seems littler, and
> the keyboard seems bigger than the eee's (NO TOUCHPAD!)

Yes, the lack of a Thinkpad-like pointer on the EeePC
is definitely a minus point for me.
The main disadvantage of the Sony Picturebook to me
was that RAM was limited to 256MB.
Though I ran Fedora on it happily enough.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net