Re: [OT] EeePC - to Fedora or not?

Am Montag, den 13.10.2008, 13:09 +0100 schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> > What are you planning to use the eee for?
> I use laptops mostly to connect by WiFi to a server desktop,
> which holds my email and runs a web server.
> I also keep most files on another computer,
> which I access by NFS.

Ok, suppose Xandros will do ok.

> I haven't found any mention of NFS or even ssh
> on the EeePC so far, but I guess they must be there somewhere.
> Also I'd like to have an xterm or konsole window,
> but I don't see that either.

Hmm. I have the impression you didn't read enough before asking.

<CTRL><ALT>-T to open a console.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos to add additional
repositories;

$ sudo synaptic

to install additional software. If you need even more, some Debian repos
could also be installed. You can activate the full desktop, with menus
with:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:getkde#enable_advanced_desktop_mode_-_the_easy_way

> I don't really want to use Star Office to write documents;
> it seems to take rather a long time to open for one thing.

Star Office? Xandros and Fedora come with OpenOffice. The same wiki has
instructions to upgrade to last version on Xandros. If you don't like
OpenOffice, with synaptic you can select another (abiword, lyx...
hehehe).

> At the moment I'm not sure if the applications I want
> are not there, or just that I haven't found them yet.
>
> > *If you want to use for development, work in your office, I wouldn't
> > encourage it, the SSD behaves too slow. Obviously, there you need
> > fedora. But I think that's not the purpose of an eee. Starting from the
> > keyboard size, it's too little in any sense for hard working.

> I don't actually mind the keyboard.

Ok. But that's not the only matter. But as you said, you don't need it
for a heavy work. I suggest you to try Xandros. What you need has no
effect on the election of Fedora vs. Xandros. I prefer Fedora, I use it
on all my machines, except the eee.

> My favourite computer for all time was the Sony Picturebook (C series)
> which if anything is a bit smaller.

Nice, didn't see it. On google images, the computer seems littler, and
the keyboard seems bigger than the eee's (NO TOUCHPAD!)

Greets!
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962