Re: DHCP will not grab ip.

Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 13:55 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Wasn't used before, but the setup greyed out the channel setting in
"Managed" mode.

That's to be expected, in managed mode you're connecting to an access
point, and *it* manages that.  It picks the channel (or is preset to use
a particular one), and all the clients scan the channels to find the
local access point, and use that one.

I do go to one site which has two AP with the same name, different channels, and different keys. I didn't design their network, and while
I can see the need for two AP and keys, I see no benefit from using
the same name.

That's probably poor configuration - many access points come with a
predefined name (e.g. calling themselves "linksys") and their owners
never bother to change them.

To be honest it's probably a really bad configuration, but the essid is not the preset. The idea is that regular staff have one channel and one key, and executive staff have the other channel and key, but both APs share a name. At least with Windows that hasn't been an issue, although I see no reason why they didn't use two names.

There is a use for having access points with the same ID, so that users
roaming through a large complex could just connect to "college" with the
nearest access point answering to that name.  Though you'd also have the
same key on all the access points.  That leaves users with just one
thing to configure (what key goes with what name), the client will scan
the channels to find an access point, you wouldn't try hard setting one.

The nearby college has a load of same, just as you describe. I have no idea if the APs hand off like cell towers, I suspect not, but if the reconnect logic is robust and includes a search (and maybe use strongest match) I guess it might work as students wander the campus.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>