Re: Video card

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 14:48 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 06 October 2008 21:04, Dan wrote:
> ATI --- superb performance, both 2D and 3D. The glxgears tool typically
> reports thousands of fps, provided the 3D driver. For 2D there is the
> open-source radeon driver (provided by default in Fedora) which works less
> than ok for its intended usage. For 3D there are no open source drivers
> (yes , ATI DOES NOT SUPPORT 3D OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS, contrary to what people
> usually say), only ATI-supplied binary drivers which are usually completely
> broken and unusable.

I do have usable 3d acceleration for my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 using the open source radeon driver which is good enough for compositing and desktop effects. However, for me at least, the driver does not seem to work properly with most 3D games such as Doom3 and windows games run via wine. Quake3 on the other hands runs fine though. You will have to update Fedora after installation to benefit from the new drivers and 3d acceleration.

It could be that is because of some of my settings in xorg.conf. I haven't really looked into that as I don't use my laptop for playing games.

Furthermore, I do not know how well newer ATI cards work with Fedora.