Re: Video card

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 14:48:22 +0000,
  Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ATI --- superb performance, both 2D and 3D. The glxgears tool typically
> reports thousands of fps, provided the 3D driver. For 2D there is the
> open-source radeon driver (provided by default in Fedora) which works less
> than ok for its intended usage. For 3D there are no open source drivers
> (yes , ATI DOES NOT SUPPORT 3D OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS, contrary to what people
> usually say), only ATI-supplied binary drivers which are usually completely
> broken and unusable.

Older (r200s) ATI cards have had open source 3d drivers for a few years.
I can play the native linux version of Neverwinter Nights reasonably
with my Radeon 9200.

The newer cards are getting 3d support now. I had an r530 based card getting
3d acceleration in later f9 without a problem. In rawhide things are pretty
unstable because of the modeseting development going on, but the cards still
mostly work.