Re: Video card

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> On Monday 06 October 2008 21:04, Dan wrote:
>> Could you give me some names of Video cards that are most compatible
>> with Fedora 9 and that have drivers for Fedora 9??
>
> I've had experience with all three vendors, nVidia, ATI and Intel, with
> various versions of Fedora. But I have no other resource of information,
> so
> you should assume the "AFAIK" for every sentence below.
>
> nVidia --- superb performance, both 2D and 3D. The glxgears tool typically
> reports thousands of fps, provided the 3D driver. For 2D there is the
> open-source nv driver (made by nVidia and provided by default in Fedora)
> which works ok for its intended usage. For 3D there are no open source
> drivers, only nVidia-supplied binary drivers (I use the Livna rpm
> packages,
> but they are all more or less the same).
>
> ATI --- superb performance, both 2D and 3D. The glxgears tool typically
> reports thousands of fps, provided the 3D driver. For 2D there is the
> open-source radeon driver (provided by default in Fedora) which works less
> than ok for its intended usage. For 3D there are no open source drivers
> (yes , ATI DOES NOT SUPPORT 3D OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS, contrary to what
> people
> usually say), only ATI-supplied binary drivers which are usually
> completely
> broken and unusable.
>
> Intel --- satisfactory 2D performance, visibly inferior 3D performance.
> The
> glxgears tool typically reports hunderds of fps (compared to thousands of
> nVidia and ATI), provided the 3D driver. For both 2D and 3D there is the
> open
> source driver which is provided by default in Fedora and works
> out-of-the-box.
>
> Bottom-line:
>
> If you go nVidia --- you get superb graphics quality, but be prepared to
> install a binary-only 3D driver. It will usually Just Work (there were
> some
> reports of random memory leakage and such, but I believe that is fixed by
> now). Be prepared to find the 3D failing for a couple of days whenever you
> install a new kernel --- it takes some time for nVidia guys to adjust the
> driver to the new kernel API (if it is changed) and some time for the
> Livna
> guys to recompile that and push to updates. This time usually totals to
> 2-3
> days after the kernel update (and during that time you might use the old
> kernel no problem).
>
> If you go Intel --- you never ever worry about any drivers anything, it
> will
> Just Work, 100%. However, be prepared to have not so perfect graphics.
> This
> can be naked-eye-visible. For example, install compiz and activate several
> performance-consuming effects. Open 10-15 windows simultaneously on 8
> [...]
On two systems with INTEL graphics F9 is a continuing source of frustration.
One is HP and the other based on an ASUS motherboard.  I'm happy with 2D as
my objective is computation but I like to have the display area of my
monitor usable.  F8 and earlier worked, but the autosensing doesn't properly
pick up on the card monitor combination.  The ability to overide the
settings with xorg.conf is gone.  I submitted a bug report but there seems
to be very little coming from X on drivers these days.

Robert McBroom