Revive corrupt user

Hi,

I am an IT professional but quite new to Linux. I am using Fedora 9 and a few times now, most of which have been my fault, I will experiment and/or make some changes that would then give me errors while logged in as my personal user or at times I cannot even get to the desktop. The only fix I have found is a fix of a novice. I just create a new user, copy all my personal files over to the new user, reset all of my preferences, and am back up running again. Yesterday after running the latest Fedora updates, I could no longer get to the desktop of my personal user so in the end I had to go through the same process of creating a new user before I could login. But I again had to go through the tedious task of copying my personal files and personalising the settings of the new user.

Here is the question: Is there any way to backup my existing user info so that I can just restore the backup when I need to and have all of my user preferences set the way I left them? I have tried backing up the "Home" folder but after restoring it, I still had the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated,
Alex