Re: Nvidia driver

On Tue August 26 2008 11:43:01 am Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> I'm am afraid that it is beyond my qualifications to start kernel
> management. First I must
> know the difference between these kernels, hwich I dont.  It seems that
> I need to take a course
> in advanced Linux to embark upon a venture like that,.

nothing of the sort! the PAE kernel is just a special case designed for
systems with very large memory (PAE stands for physical address extension);
early on during your boot sequence, you should see the words "Grub loading
stage 2" appear on your screen, and if you press nearly any key, it will take
you to a screen where you can pick the kernel you boot into using the up/down
arrows. Boot into both your kernels and run the command suggested by Roger;
once you've figured out which kernel is yielding you more usable memory, you
can remove the one you don't want by running the command from a root prompt:

yum remove [name of kernel]

that's it, all there is to it
by the way, did you know that the nvidia driver installed documentation right
on your hard drive? it's going to be a lot better than searching for stuff on
the net, especially as you appear to be pointing to a 64 bit version with that
link you posted -

try this from your browser:
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-x11-drv-173.14.12/html/index.html

and by the way, what does rpm -qa | grep nvidia show?

> So for now I'd better be happy with the two optional screen resolutions
> that I have,
> and the 800x600 is not bad at all

for me, that would be awful - I'm currently typing on an ASUS laptop with a
17" wide screen set to 1920 X 1200 -- running the latest nvidia driver - I
have five machines running Fedora right now, and they all have nvidia cards
with the nvidia proprietary drivers running on them, all of them at much
higher resolution than yours - something is wrong, but, we can probably figure
it out

> , I can live vith that without someone
> holding a gun to my head.
>
> Now, I happened to find
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8174/README/64bit_html/i
>ndex.html

beware the above link unless you're running the 64 bit version of the
driver...

--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA