Re: question on a kernal "uhhuh" message

Paul Newell wrote regarding memtest86 results:
> I ran the test and it immediately failed. To make sure I was doing
> things right, I tried in on another machine (which worked) and am
> trying it on a third machine (which I will check in on tomorrow
> morning)..
>
> Though I am not seeing any problems running on the machine that
> reported the error during yum update, I am figuring "I gotta hardware
> problem".

One of my Frankenstein boxes, made from left over computer parts, had
faulty RAM.  The system would often run fine, there'd be occasional
faults.  I didn't know it had faulty memory at the time, it didn't have
Linux on it, and had never been subjected to the memtest86 program.  It
was much later on that it got tested, and it failed the test every time.
As an experiment, I left it running as a webserver.  It continued to
work most of the time, but would occasionally die.  It must have just
been luck that the faulty part of the memory wasn't being used, or was
being used by something that didn't notice the fault.

Moral of the story:  A computer that apparently works fine can still
have faults, you've just not seen them yet, or not associated some
apparent software faults with actual hardware faults.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.