Re: OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 17:30 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
I think you are over thinking this...

If you tar the files and untar them on the MacOS HD (HFS+), the symbolic
links should be fine.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/Aliases.html

I seriously doubt that bringing in a non-native file system is the
answer you are looking for.
Thanks for the link and the advice, Craig.

Now that I've looked into things, I agree with you about the
non-native filesystem.

But I'm missing something fundamental.  How, without being on a
network, do I get the 30GB tar file off my disk and onto her computer?

Her Mac is in its packing box at the bookstore at her college in
Chicago.  I live in Washington. I fly out tomorrow.  In the short time
I'll be in Chicago, we'll have little time to mess with computer
stuff.  She'll be busy with a million other "freshman orientation"
things.  I'm clearly missing the obvious.  Please clue me in.
Thanks.
----
a network is 2 computers and a network cable. Since the new MacBook will
clearly have 1Gb network connection, a simple cable between the 2
computers is your network and all you need to do is manually address
them on the same network/subnet and you can transfer the file(s) via
scp.

And you'd better use a "flipped" cable or it won't work.  Or two
regular cables and a hub/switch.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -