Re: OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 17:30 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > I think you are over thinking this...
> >
> > If you tar the files and untar them on the MacOS HD (HFS+), the symbolic
> > links should be fine.
> >
> > http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/Aliases.html
> >
> > I seriously doubt that bringing in a non-native file system is the
> > answer you are looking for.
>
> Thanks for the link and the advice, Craig.
>
> Now that I've looked into things, I agree with you about the
> non-native filesystem.
>
> But I'm missing something fundamental.  How, without being on a
> network, do I get the 30GB tar file off my disk and onto her computer?
>
> Her Mac is in its packing box at the bookstore at her college in
> Chicago.  I live in Washington. I fly out tomorrow.  In the short time
> I'll be in Chicago, we'll have little time to mess with computer
> stuff.  She'll be busy with a million other "freshman orientation"
> things.  I'm clearly missing the obvious.  Please clue me in.
> Thanks.
----
a network is 2 computers and a network cable. Since the new MacBook will
clearly have 1Gb network connection, a simple cable between the 2
computers is your network and all you need to do is manually address
them on the same network/subnet and you can transfer the file(s) via
scp.

Craig