Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> > Telling us to move to another distro is not the
>>
>> correct answer.  Also to get it from livna or freshrpms
>> might be an option, but is it the best alternative?
>>
>> Ideally, we would see software patents going away but
>> meanwhile we would
>> want to see good support for non patent encumbered codecs
>> and supporting
>> them out of the box by using multimedia frameworks like
>> gstreamer is the
>> best alternative we have and that is what Fedora does.
>> Third party repos
>> makes it very easy to drop in the additional codecs as
>> plugins.
>
>Here like I have mentioned in the same thread.  A Fedora spin without (all
> the free stuff(non patent encumbered ) that is provided by default) would
> make sense and would free Fedora/Red Hat from litigation and would make it
> easier to include the stuff that will make media players play everything
> under the sun and will not get in the way when buiding these apps.
>
>For instance the totem that comes with Fedora, tries very hard to play
> dvd's, but it can't because of the legal issues.  Why not make a spin that
> does not have Totem, gstreamer and all the free stuff so that users can
> have the power to build these apps non-crippled?
>
>> As Jef noted, Firefox 3.1 will include native support for
>> ogg (theora
>> for video and vorbis for audio) which is also a pretty good
>> move. If you
>> disagree and want proprietary or patent encumbered codec
>> support by
>> default, Fedora probably isn't the right choice for
>> you.
>
>IT is a good thing, but it will not support everything out there under the
> sun :(
>
>That is why users are asking for, is it reasonable for end users to ask that
> Fedora *not include all the free stuff* so that they can add the stuff that
> they want and play everything that they want and of course, Fedora/Red Hat
> will have no responsibility whatsoever if an end user gets sued,
> Fedora/Redhat will be immune and should not/cannot be taken to court.
>
>> Rahul
>
>It is not a bad thing Rahul. I have mplayer and gecko-media player built
> from source and I am doing fine.  I am not complaining.  It would make
> sense to not have to ship crippled players *unless the users want those
> only**
>
>Regards,
>
>Antonio

I'm going to throw in a hearty second to that notion.  In my attempts to get
some, any damned thing to work here, it appears I now have a dep clash even
with kino-1.2.0 from livna:
[root@coyote ~]# kino
kino: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavformat.so.51: undefined symbol:
av_crc04C11DB7

I have removed the house cleaning lines from all the gmerlin stuffs and
rebuilt them, of which that is a small part, and I will now see if I can nuke
what must be a newer version of libavformat.

Which isn't doing any good.  Apparently kino is fixated on libavformat.so.51
and there seems to be no way that I can make it look at the locally built
libavformat.so.52 located in /opt/gmerlin/lib, and I think is properly setup
in /etc/ld.so.conf.d.

Since the kino on livna is about 8 months old, version 1.2.0, is there a
chance that 1.3.1 will hit livna before F8 is dead?  It might be built
against the later libraries.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene