Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

> > Telling us to move to another distro is not the
> correct answer.  Also to get it from livna or freshrpms
> might be an option, but is it the best alternative?
>
> Ideally, we would see software patents going away but
> meanwhile we would
> want to see good support for non patent encumbered codecs
> and supporting
> them out of the box by using multimedia frameworks like
> gstreamer is the
> best alternative we have and that is what Fedora does.
> Third party repos
> makes it very easy to drop in the additional codecs as
> plugins.
Here like I have mentioned in the same thread.  A Fedora spin without (all the free stuff(non patent encumbered ) that is provided by default) would make sense and would free Fedora/Red Hat from litigation and would make it easier to include the stuff that will make media players play everything under the sun and will not get in the way when buiding these apps.

For instance the totem that comes with Fedora, tries very hard to play dvd's, but it can't because of the legal issues.  Why not make a spin that does not have Totem, gstreamer and all the free stuff so that users can have the power to build these apps non-crippled?

> As Jef noted, Firefox 3.1 will include native support for
> ogg (theora
> for video and vorbis for audio) which is also a pretty good
> move. If you
> disagree and want proprietary or patent encumbered codec
> support by
> default, Fedora probably isn't the right choice for
> you.
IT is a good thing, but it will not support everything out there under the sun :(

That is why users are asking for, is it reasonable for end users to ask that Fedora *not include all the free stuff* so that they can add the stuff that they want and play everything that they want and of course, Fedora/Red Hat will have no responsibility whatsoever if an end user gets sued, Fedora/Redhat will be immune and should not/cannot be taken to court.

> Rahul

It is not a bad thing Rahul. I have mplayer and gecko-media player built from source and I am doing fine.  I am not complaining.  It would make sense to not have to ship crippled players *unless the users want those only**

Regards,

Antonio