Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I create a video, I have to give someone on a DVD that they can play
in a standard player connected to their TV set.  Ogg theora output is
useless.

There is no perfect solution. Yes, the de-facto audio/video standards are patented encumbered.   Fedora ships the dvdauthor tool... ive never attempted to use it.. i should.

The fight for open standards never ends. I would give my i-teeth to see 1% of the heat caused by OOXML's iso process be moved over and aimed at encumbered video data format "standards".

The fact that firefox is going to get native support for theora via the new <video> tag is good news however. http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492

Open data formats are important. The establishment and use of open data formats for governments and municipality use are probably the most important issue facing modern digital societies.

The input side of things is similarly warped.  I need to be able to
import DV, and work on the files in their own format.  Notwithstanding
the problems in trying to get video into a system on a virtually ignored
firewire port, converting digital video from one format to another is
not only wastefully time consuming, but damaging to video quality.

hmm... dvgrab as shipped in F9 saw my camera on my firewire port just fine.
And i can do simple clip manipulation of the dv footage pulled with dvgrab in pitivi then render it to whatever compressed formats gstreamer supports on the system...by default that would be theora.  Pitivi needs love, but I've had it work for me for simple needs. Honestly its the only application in the space that I think has the ability to be further developed..it just needs more attention.

-jef