Re: Project Stick In The Mud :-)

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Russell Miller <duskglow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 18:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> What gets me is that it's an integrated soundchip.  Usually those are
> pretty well supported, at least in basics.

Out of curiousity, what soundchip is it? What does lspci say it is? What
kind of motherboard is it on?

It's an Azalia on a AMD K9A Platinum.

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
(and guess what, copy and paste doesn't work into firefox, I had to do this manually...  I'm getting frustrated...)

But, the plot thickens... or something thickens...

I just bought a USB sound adapter.  It also doesn't work.  And this time pulseaudio is giving me errors.  ALSA sees it, alsa tries to load it, pulseaudio does something with it and it doesn't work.  And I would love to paste in the log output... but GUESS WHAT.  And if I right click on a blank section, it selects everything.  Let me type it in here...  by hand... MANUALLY.

I figured it out.  It's a permissions issue.  New users are not added to pulse-rt, and the sound devices under alsa are not created with the pulse-rt group permissions.  So it can't write to anything.  Adding a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/00-permissions.rules that contains... oops, forgot, can't paste.  Basically copy 40-alsa.rules, and change all instances of NAME=".." to "GROUP="pulse-rt"".  Restart your window manager, and everything should start showing up.

Now.  Do I like pulseaudio?  NO.  This is a huge, immense, pain in the patootie that strikes me as unnecessary and annoying and frankly I hate that I had to go through all this work just to get sound to working.  But it's working.  So there's that.  Thanks for giving me a place to vent.

--Russell