Re: Project Stick In The Mud :-)

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 18:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> What gets me is that it's an integrated soundchip.  Usually those are
> pretty well supported, at least in basics.

Out of curiousity, what soundchip is it? What does lspci say it is? What
kind of motherboard is it on?

It's an Azalia on a AMD K9A Platinum.

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
(and guess what, copy and paste doesn't work into firefox, I had to do this manually...  I'm getting frustrated...)

But, the plot thickens... or something thickens...

I just bought a USB sound adapter.  It also doesn't work.  And this time pulseaudio is giving me errors.  ALSA sees it, alsa tries to load it, pulseaudio does something with it and it doesn't work.  And I would love to paste in the log output... but GUESS WHAT.  And if I right click on a blank section, it selects everything.  Let me type it in here...  by hand... MANUALLY.

Aug  9 22:57:16 mochrie pulseaudio[5285]: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: No such file or directory
module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-source" (argument: "device_id=0 source_name=alsa_input.usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial_sound_card_0_alsa_capture_0"): initialization failed

(same with playback)

You know, I have to second the OP.  In previous versions of Fedora, things worked.  NetworkManager didn't exist so I didn't have to turn it off (several times as it kept TURNING ITSELF BACK ON) (I turned it off because it kept insisting on grabbing a dhcp lease even though I specifically told it that I wanted it to have a static IP... it absolutely REFUSED to listen to me.... and then I said "OK, Ignore the interface"... it just kept going back and grabbing it... and then it turned itself back on when I disabled it entirely...)  ALSA and OSS were ALSA and OSS and while sometimes they didn't work out of the box they were easy enough to figure out... KDE 3 worked and was full featured... Now Fedora is just getting in the way.

I also have to second the other poster who said that this seems to be turning into Vista.  I've been a system admin for 12 years.  I remember LInux 0.99, I remember setting up a 9600 modem, I remember Redhat 5.  I know how these things have worked and are supposed to work, and this is just turning into crap.  Sorry, I know you guys are working hard on it, but my frustration is boiling over.  I want things to *just work*, and almost all of the changes I see in Fedora are about three steps backwards with regard to that goal.  Honestly, I liked Fedora 5 better than Fedora 9 and I'm seriously considering just scrapping the whole thing until things actually start working right again.

I'm not singling you guys out, though.  I got on the RedHat guys on a conference call a while ago about Redhat-DS (I run a moderate sized install of that as well and it's another major cause of frustration), and you should have seen what I did to the splunk sales guys, so I'm not intentionally trying to be mean.  I just have a really short patience for things that don't have even the bare minimum of usability.  Say what you want about windows XP, I haven't had near the problems with it that I have had with Fedora 9.  It *just works*.

Look, I really like Fedora.  I always have.  And if I didn't have some kind of attachment to it I'd just go back and reinstall Gentoo or something.  I really want it to work out, but seriously guys, what *is* this?

And one final thought:  Change for the sake of change is really not a good idea.

Thanks,

--Russell

~spot