Re: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !? -- [SOLVED by removing NetworkManager]

Further events;

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 11:25 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Kevin, Mikkel, Bruce et al;
>
> NetWorkMangager was the culprit ...
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 01:59 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
> > I just went back and looked, you have a wired ethernet setup.  Why are
> > you using NetworkManager?  Have you tried disabling NetworkManager and
> > starting up the "network" service in its place?
>
> As you suggested, I turned off NetworkManger services.  After rebooting,
> everything worked the way it should. No boot up warnings; browsers and
> Evolution started online; all connections were made.

I also tried the opposite just now. I.e turning off 'network' and
turning on NetworkManager.  'network' services would not turn off.  From
the services gui I got a SELinux warning (even in permissive mode) from
the command line I got

]# service network stop
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]

]# service NetworkManager start
Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
Starting NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
Waiting for network...                                     [FAILED]

]# service NetworkManager status
NetworkManager (pid 4866) is running...

All I get is an empty notification panel gui that shows up and says no
network connection, when, in fact, everything is connected but offline.

]# service network status
Configured devices:
lo eth0
Currently active devices:
lo eth0

N.B.  Tried to man 'network' -- no manual entry.  Is there another name
to 'man' by?

[snip]

--
Regards Bill;