Re: F8 & F9: Date & Time

Todd Denniston wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 08/04/2008 03:20 PM:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 08/01/2008 09:28 PM:
>> > Yes, ntp is running and is properly, I believe.  It snaps in
>> > once I get the time setting close enough.  Somehow time
>> > is off anywhere from 2-8 hours in the past or in the future
>> > after a reboot.
>>
>> A) are you dual booting with windows or any other OS/distribution (even
>> another instance of Fedora)?
>> {perhaps the other OS thinks the hardware clock is/[is not] on UTC.}
>>
> Yes, w2kPro, XP, Vista, f8, and f9

Considering what your /etc/adjtime and /etc/sysconfig/clock below look like:
1) these settings are good, when you have to work with MS.
2) I *ASSUME* that those two files are the same on *BOTH* F8 and F9 [PLEASE
verify that /etc/sysconfig/clock match between fedora systems and that
/etc/adjtime on both systems ends with LOCAL]. If this assumption is not true
please post both sets and identify which are for F8 and which are for F9.
3) You now need to verify that w2kPro, XP and Vista ALL use the same timezone and that it matches up with [is equivalent to] "America/Los Angeles" including
dealing with DST(if needed).

See below for addition to F9.  It is interesting!  F8:Local v.s. F9: UTC
I wonder why this changed during installation of F9.

>> B) what are the contents of /etc/adjtime and /etc/sysconfig/clock?
>>     {repeat this question for each instance of Fedora|Unix installed
>> on the
>> machine.}

F9: /etc/adjtime:
============
0.071197 1217706790 0.000000
1217706790
UTC

F9: /etc/sysconfig/clock:
==================
# The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
# The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
ZONE="America/Los Angeles"

> F8: # cat /etc/adjtime
> 0.568903 1217870667 0.000000
> 1217870667
> LOCAL
>
> F8:  # cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
> # The ZONE parameter is only evaluated by system-config-date.
> # The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
> ZONE="America/Los Angeles"
>
>> C) it seems strange that the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd is not syncing the
>> clock
>> before kicking off ntpd.
>> you may need to add the following line to /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
>> dostep=yes
>>
>> D) have you tried adding '-g' to OPTIONS=... in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd ?
>>
> Ok, added the above.  I will follow up on results soon.

<SNIP>
> Note: I did not have a date problem (that I was aware of) until very
> recently
>           and I ran all three (w2kPro, XP, f8) w/ no
>           problems for a "long" time.
>           It wasn't until I added in Vista and f9
> when I noticed it. Then verify Vista is using the SAME timezone as XP and w2kpro. If it looks like Vista is then you might want to search the net a bit and see if someone
has noticed Vista using different data for timezones than XP or w2kpro.

[Note: don't change XP or w2kpro settings for timezone, just make sure they
are the same. Change Vista if needed.]

Interesting - F8 worked fine and no changes to date/time when booting
w2kPro/XP/Vista and it most likely changed due to F9's UTC setting!?

>           I ran updates on all OS's so it is hard to tell where
>           the culprit originated.  I also, in
>           addition to the time/date problem started
>           noticing that on boot up for f9
>           ONLY, a forced fsck fix ensued because the
>           time/date was "in the future"
>           (or so  f9 believes) and this continues even
>           now, and then the  sendmail/dovecot
>           group-writable issue cropped up,
>           stating with f9, then later with f8.
>
>           Very strange.
Most strange.

[Note: I tried several times to get this message out much earlier
           and it failed to post; I was using TB, "Edit as New" and
           I guess this failed.  So I had to take this thread and add my
           comment in, so I hope this get though this time!

           Since the below comment was before this current posting,
           Since F8 has LOCAL and F9 has UTC - clearly there is
           something different here, however, the comment below
           brings something else into the picture: This is a set manual
           time to correct time, then reboot, then a "Setting clock:"
           messages comes in and it changes to 4+ hours ahead,
           read on.  I am not sure this is relevant or not but it seems
           odd.
]

[
This message was in response to making changes to the /etc/ntpd file,
adding in the dostep=yes, and -g option.
]

I decided to focus  f8, and made the changes per your request,
rebooted, but I noticed that just before udev, there was a message
saying something to the  effect:

"Setting clock: 8/4/08, 4:xx PM..."

But my time is 12:xx PM, so it was set ahead by 4+ hours
by NTP and/or BIOs?  So, as a test, I disabled NTP, rebooted
and the problem goes away!  Seems like NTP is the problem?

I even re-enabled NTP, but choose "Use local time source"
and this setting did not corrupt the actual time on reboot,
so perhaps it is because NTP is using the BIOs time clock?

As a Side note:
1) The "Setting clock" message does not appear in f9 at all so
    one may not get any idea that the time has changed...  is this
    feature removed or only appears when a time change occurs?

Thanks to all!
Dan