Re: SHUT THE F*CK UP ALREADY!!!

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 16:05 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2008, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Craig White wrote:
> >> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 12:16 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >> around long enough to know that they aren't going to change each others
> >> minds on the topic as well. Perhaps they are speaking to the undecided.
>
> +1
>
> > I suspect the vast majority have already decided.
>
> How could that be?  The community is growing at a rapid pace.  Every
> day, lots of people get into it that are still trying to grasp what
> this fedora thing is, and that have never heard of software freedom or
> GNU before, and have just a vague notion of what Linux.  For all they
> know, it could be spelled Linwx, short for Linwx Is Not Windows Xp.
----
It's curious how opinionated some are who aren't actually contributing
any code as if they feel that even without sweat equity, their opinion
should hold sway.

The real cut to the nut is when you've started putting in real time in
code contributions that what other people can do with that code becomes
especially meaningful.

I had an employer that decided that they wanted me to quit and handed me
a separation agreement concocted by their lawyer that had me assigning
the rights to the code base to them (a non-profit that was supposedly
committed to open source no less). After I pointed out that most of the
code had been written prior to my working for them full-time and that
there was no such agreement up front, they were asking me to sign away
my rights without compensation. I gave them a choice to pay me for the
rights or declare the code base to be GPLv3.
----
> Fedora claims to be a community "all about freedom and rapid
> innovation".  I might as well help them understand what freedom means
> when applied to software.  Or at the very least offer them a second
> opinion that takes more of social responsibility than individual
> convenience into account.
----
Thanks for your continued efforts. I don't have to agree with all of
your contentions to appreciate that there are a lot of diverse views and
am better for seeing many of them.

Craig