Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

Please explain how a work containing any GPL'd material can contain
any that is not covered by the GPL, given the 'work as a whole'
provision in the license.   While there are indeed licenses that
permit their own terms to be replaced by the GPL when used in this
way, that means the terms _become_ the GPL, not that different terms
are or can be, by design, compatible.

Not quite.  A license such as your beloved modified BSD license does
not permit relicensing.  What makes it compatible with the GPL is that
it grants all the permissions granted by the GPL, and it doesn't
establish any requirements that are not present in the GPL.

If I add some bsd code into a gpl'd work, could I then distribute the resulting binary and only the previously gpl'd code? This would be permissible if the bsd code retained its own license. Instead, I believe it becomes encumbered with the gpl restrictions - and could not be used otherwise.

I have a beef with representing restrictions as freedom.

You seem to not understand the difference between freedom and power,
and insist in demanding power when what you deserve and have is
freedom.

No, I understand that restrictions are not freedom.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx