Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Anders Karlsson wrote:

Just so that I understand this right.

Any license which will permit being replaced by the GPL, when the
software it covers is combined with software under the GPL - is
compatible with the GPL?

Anyone except the copyright holder cannot replace the terms of the license. If I developed software and licensed it using any of the licenses compatible with the GPL, that original software stays under the license I released forever. Software Freedom Law Center published a paper describing the effect of combining BSD and GPL license if you are interested in the details

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

Note that the specific details maybe dependent on the copyright laws of your region too.

Rahul